The ac induction motor is by far the most widely used motor in the industry. … The underlying reason for this is the fact that the cage induction motor is much cheaper and more rugged than its competitor, the dc motor, in such applications.
What is the most commonly used AC motor in industry?
Alternating Current (AC) Motors
- 3-phase AC induction motors are the most widely used motors in industrial and commercial applications. …
- 3-phase Synchronous motors are most commonly used in very large industrial applications or where exact speed is required.
What are the disadvantages of induction motor?
- One of the main disadvantages of induction motor is that speed control of induction motor is difficult.
- Efficiency drops at low loads. …
- Induction motors have notoriously low starting torque. …
- At low loads, the power factor drops to very low values.
Which is better induction motor or synchronous motor?
While synchronous motors have higher efficiency and no slip, induction motors have good starting torque. The synchronous motor has no starting torque. Power factor is lagging in induction motor and unity in synchronous motor. Capex is lower for induction while Opex is lower for synchronous.
What are the main parts of induction motor?
Parts of Induction Motors
- Stator. The stator is the stationary portion of the motor and delivers a rotating magnetic field to interact with the rotor. …
- Rotor. The rotor is the central component of the motor, and is fixed to the shaft. …
- Shaft. The motor shaft is fixed within the rotor, and rotates with it. …
- Bearings. …
What are two types of induction motor?
Single-phase induction motors and three-phase induction motors are the two main types of induction motors.
Which motor is used in air conditioner?
Split-phase motor. Another common single-phase AC motor is the split-phase induction motor, commonly used in major appliances such as air conditioners and clothes dryers. Compared to the shaded pole motor, these motors provide much greater starting torque.
What are the 3 basic types of AC motors?
What are the three basic types of ac motors? A1. Series, synchronous, induction.