Most thefts from vehicle are opportunistic—thieves often go down a line of cars, checking each one for easy access. Don’t give them an open invitation to steal your stuff by leaving the doors unlocked. You may even want to opt for a remote or auto-locking feature the next time you purchase a new car.
Where do most car break-ins happen?
Most auto burglaries occur at night while the vehicle is parked outside the victim’s residence. Some burglars also target vehicles that are parked in parking lots while their owners are at work, in class, or shopping.
How do you prevent car burglaries?
Learn more about how to prevent car theft
- Always lock your vehicle (even while driving)
- When parked, leave all windows – including the sunroof – closed.
- Know where you’re going and plan routes that avoid high crime areas whenever possible.
- Park in well-lit areas.
- Never leave your car unattended if it’s running.
What are the hardest cars to steal?
Top 10 Most Stolen Cars in America
- Jeep Cherokee/Grand Cherokee. Number of thefts: 9,818. …
- Dodge Pickup (full size) Number of thefts: 11,226. …
- GMC Pickup (Full size) Number of thefts: 11,708. …
- Toyota Corolla. Number of thefts: 12,388. …
- Nissan Altima. …
- Toyota Camry. …
- Chevrolet Pickup (Full-size) …
- Ford Pickup (Full-size)
What cars are least stolen?
According to the Highway Loss Data Institute, the Toyota Prius is one of the least stolen cars in the US despite their numbers. Don’t get your hopes high yet, though; most thieves would pass on a Toyota Prius to go steal another car.
What really puts burglars off?
Burglars will always assess first the security of the most common entry points – doors and windows. High quality door and window locks are the first-line deterrents for burglars and intruders and a solid countermeasure to break-ins.
What time of day do burglaries Most occur?
Most burglaries occur between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m., since that’s a prime timeframe where many homes are not occupied. Our research for this month’s issue found a lot of new and interesting facts about home burglaries and their criminals.
How can I make my car harder to steal?
What You Can Do
- Keep your vehicle locked at all times, even while driving.
- When parked, never leave your keys in the car. …
- Never leave your car running and unattended.
- Avoid leaving valuables inside your vehicle where passersby can see them.
- Do not leave your vehicle title in the car. …
- Know where you’re going.